Saturday, September 18, 2010

Soldier becomes second woman to set national high-powered rifle record










FORT BENNING, Ga. (WTVM) – A U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit soldier becomes the first service member since 1987 to win the National High Power Rifle Championship.

Sgt. Sherri Jo Gallagher set a new national record in the match with a 2396-161x, dropping only four shots during the entire competition. She shot 21 more bulls eyes than anyone else. Competitors included legends of the sport and past champions.

"I wanted to be in the military since I was very young-I was drawn to the challenge and excitement of it," said Gallagher. "I wanted to learn how to be a leader and make a difference in life. Then I had the opportunity to join the USAMU and turn my favorite hobby into my daily life. Nothing could be more fun than that."

She also became the second woman ever to win the championship. Her mother Nancy Tompkins won the honor in 1998.

"We were both competing that year so I didn't get to watch her that much" Gallagher said. "But, she wasn't shooting high-power this year so she was able to watch me shoot. She brought me coffee every day. It was very nice."

Gallagher currently holds 21 national records in rifle. In 2009, she won the national high-power long-range rifle championship for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment